Welcome...

“If this was America I’d be a Cowboy...which would possibly be a bit cooler!”

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Name that pig!

Whether you grow cereals, peas, spuds or rear chickens, pigs or cattle, one fact about farming is that you will almost certainly become preoccupied with the weather...obsessively so, but with good reason. Right now I am talking about the almost complete lack of rain and the fact that the ground is already like cracked concrete in places.
 
I took the decision to let the animals out on the 17th April due to the unusually clement conditions (they spend the best part of the winter in comfortable 5 star barn accommodation, clean bedding, room service, "all you can eat" buffet). We were also running out of silage due to last year’s "thin" cut (nothing compared to this year at the rate we’re going!) so there was incentive to get them out to grass as soon as we could. The result being that the cattle have now eaten their way through most of the grass and if we don't get decent rain during what is still meant to be Spring, they will eat it all of the way down...which could be a problem - more on this later. This is being pushed to the back of my mind for now as I have more immediate, yet less serious matters to contend with, namely something which with quite reasonable trepidation I have called "Operation Pig",  plus the naming of two "gilts", which for your information are in fact sows/females which have not produced piglets, like a heifer is to a cow...essentially a "virgin" or "maiden" animal.
 
I actually have three gilts, two of which I bought in November last year and one which I have had for a few months which I am offering bed and board to for a local pub/restaurant, The Salehurst Halt - this is being taken to the abattoir next week and will end up on their menu. “Operation Pig” refers to the necessary tagging of this rather unique animal. She is moody, noisy and unfriendly and despite my best efforts, doesn’t even like the odd scratch or rub unlike her milder mannered sisters...she generally tries to bite me or squeal if I ever get near her, so quite how she is going to take to having her ear pierced by me, I don't know. I intend to try and video this on Thursday for your amusement. It might go well, it might not but it has to be done. I stress here that its completely painless, however, she is likely to take exception to me coming at her wielding what looks like a pair of large pliers with an eager, determined look about me. I really wish I had given her an ear-tag when she was small, fluffy, cute and approachable...
 
Anyway, back to the two gilts. These currently have the esteemed identities of pig 3 and pig 4 (pig 1, their brother, is in the freezer, pig 2 being the abovementioned strop-bag). I think its about time they had names and am therefore asking for your input. No restrictions here, give me your suggestions and I’ll draw two names out of a bag and they will for evermore carry these names. The only requirement is that you will need to become a follower on this blog and have your names in by 31st May – naming will take place on 1st June, whereupon I’ll take some photos of the pigs with their names and announce the winning namers!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jeremy,

    Have been enjoying your blogs so far and look forward to future installments.
    I had a small insight into your farming life recently, which I enjoyed every minute of. I'm sure I will learn a great deal more as your blog continues.
    Don't forget, if you ever need an extra pair of hands for a couple of days or more, I'd love to come down and lend a hand.
    I'll try not to take a lump out og your leg next time !!! hope it's had time to heal now !!
    take care mate and good luck with the piggy expansion.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers John...leg healing nicely.You are welcome anytime!

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about Titania (Shakespeare's queen of the fairies) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. ‎1. Ann (Widdecombe) 2. Mo (Mowlam) 3. Edwina (Curry) seems appropriate to me.. 3 pig headed, stroppy women! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about 'Baldrick', 'Beast' and 'Bubble' ???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann, Mo, Edwina, Titania, Beast & Bubble all added to the selection, however, Baldrick may not quite make it as he was a bloke. All great names though - thanks for your input.

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about Snowball and Napoleon.. or those great piggies from our childhood (well yours probably, I'm a bit young...) Pinky and Perky :)

    ReplyDelete